Community Service Worker
SP4 Social Service Worker 4
Regional Social Services - Northern Region, Community Service Delivery
Swan River MB
Advertisement Number: 41159
Salary(s): SP4 $59,198.00 - $82,121.00 per year
Closing Date: June 4, 2023
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
Candidates who do not meet all essential criteria may be considered on an underfill basis at a commensurate rate of pay.
Community Living disABILITY Services (CLdS) is a program that offers a range of day and residential services aimed at providing adults with intellectual impairments the opportunity for independence in a community setting to the extent possible for each individual. The population served includes adults who are diagnosed with an Intellectual Disability and who require assistance to meet basic needs with regard to personal care or management of property. CLdS supports that are potentially available include residential and day services, protection services, and other related support services.
Children’s disABILITY Services (CdS) is a program with the goal of providing supports and services for families parenting a child with disabilities in their home and community. Services potentially available consist of case management, counselling, early intervention, respite services, summer supports, behavioural psychology and other professional services. Services are provided based on assessed need and resources available.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check (including Vulnerable Sector Search)
- Must have a valid driver's licence and access to a vehicle with the ability to travel within the Province of Manitoba for government business.
- Must be available to work evenings, weekends, statutory holidays when required
- Satisfactory Child Abuse Registry Check
- Satisfactory Adult Abuse Registry Check
- Post-secondary education in the social services field (BSW preferred)
- Case management experience in an integrated services environment that includes brief counselling, conducting assessments, service planning and coordination, resource development and follow-up.
- Experience working with children with disabilities or vulnerable adults and their families, providing supports based on the individual needs of the participants
- Experience conducting risk assessments with participants and their family members
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to resolve conflict effectively, interact sensitively and respectfully in a non-judgmental manner with diverse stakeholders
- Experience with crisis intervention and protection services
- Effective verbal communication skills
- Effective written communication skills
- Ability to set priorities, to organize and exercise initiative in a complex and fast-paced work environment with high-volume caseloads and competing demands
- Ability to work independently within a multi-disciplinary team
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel and Outlook)
What you will do:
As a Community Service Worker (CSW) for CLdS/CdS you will participate in and often act as lead in a Service Coordination team which can include a wide array of social service agencies but not restricted to those associated with Health, Education, child welfare agencies, private non-profit agencies, Justice, Employment and Income Assistance (EIA) and Early Learning and Child Care (ELCC). You are a liaison between families, advocates, other government and community-based agencies and the individuals you serve. You will use a family centered/person-centered approach to deliver discipline-based services and intervention strategies with individuals and families. You are responsible for coordination and delivery of support services including those that ensure delivery of protection services, support services, crisis management and the Substitute Decision Making process as per The Vulnerable Persons Living with a Mental Disability Act.
The work is fast-paced and challenging. You will assess, plan, implement and monitor services on behalf of children /families or vulnerable individuals. You will collaborate with other professionals, advocate for program clients, plan successful transitions to childcare, school system, residential placements, coordinate day activity programming, counsel program clients and represent CLdS/CdS to other stakeholders, the community and to families. CSWs are often required to assist with issues caused by domestic violence, trauma, disability, abuse, mental and emotional challenges, loss, addiction, homelessness and family breakdown. Developing the necessary supports and network of services that enable an individual to gain independence/reach full potential and strengthen their ability to function successfully, despite these challenges, is extremely rewarding. As a CSW you will have a positive impact on families, children and clients’ life and their experiences moving forward.
Who you are:
• You have strong interpersonal communication skills and you interact with people with dignity, respect, objectivity and the desire to actively listen and learn.
• You are a great listener, you can articulate clearly and you understand the importance of looking beyond what is at the surface, and you can maintain flexibility in your approach and planning with clients and their families.
• You want to have a positive impact on the lives of Manitobans living with a disability, their families and support networks.
• You are open to collaborating with your co-workers and others to better meet the needs of your clients.
• You are also adaptable to changes in workload, policies and procedures.
• You are comfortable with technology, using multiple computer and business programs.
What we offer:
• A career in a helping and caring profession with the ability to make a profound and lasting impact in the lives of people.
• A positive work environment where you can build successful and long-lasting professional relationships with co-workers who will share their knowledge and expertise with you.
• Every day is different with variety in tasks and challenges.
• Training from orientation to on-going professional development that will give you the tools you need to be successful.
• The Manitoba government has a comprehensive compensation and benefits package, which includes extended health care, health spending account, dental care, vision care, long-term disability insurance, group life insurance, maternity/paternity leave, family related leave and a defined pension plan.
• Training and career development opportunities are also available for employees.
Advertisement # 41159
Service Centre 4
Human Resource Services
600-259 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB, R3B 2A9
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions for represented positions may be grieved by internal represented applicants. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor's representative. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.