Manitoba Hydro is consistently recognized as one of Manitoba's Top Employers!
- Competitive salary and benefits package.
- Defined-benefit pension plan.
- Nine-day work cycle which normally results in every other Monday off, providing for a balanced approach to work, family life and community.
Manitoba Hydro is a leader among energy companies in North America, recognized for providing highly reliable service and exceptional customer satisfaction. Join our team of Manitoba's best as we continue to build a company that supports innovation, commitment and customer service.
We are seeking an experienced and highly motivated Technical Assistant to join the Natural Gas System Control & Maintenance Department in Winnipeg, MB.
You will provide technical support and assistance for the research, development and maintenance of technical specifications, procurement, inventory control of complex electric, electronic equipment and parts, critical for the regular maintenance and natural gas emergency response plan.
You will assist the department manager in the creation of outline agreements, creation and maintenance of departmental SharePoint sites and assistance with instrumentation and control training methods, procedures and aids necessary for effective training.
- Under the general direction of the department manager, will provide technical support and assistance for the research, development and maintenance of technical specifications, procurement, inventory control of complex electric, electronic equipment and parts, critical for the regular maintenance and natural gas emergency response plan.
- Develop, review and maintain departmental standard operating procedures, maintenance standards, work instructions, and emergency response plans for Natural Gas Maintenance & Odourization, gas SCADA operation and corrosion prevention, updating and maintaining the electronic library.
- Develop & prepare departmental technical specifications for regular maintenance and capital projects (construction CAD drawings, bill of materials and cost estimates) associated with installation of control, monitoring and instrumentation for gas SCADA and corrosion control; all with consideration for existing standards as to safety, economics, efficiency of operation, and future expansion.
- Liaise with Regulatory Strategy & Planning Department, Winnipeg Natural Gas Operations, Distribution Operations Rural Division and Corporate Emergency Response Coordinator on updates required by the Gas Outage Response (GOR) Manual and departmental emergency response plans.
- Determine requirements for specialized electric and electronic equipment and maintain material inventory, including material tracking for Natural Gas Maintenance & Odourization, gas SCADA operations and corrosion prevention.
- Liaise with material management in the creation of outline agreements, and inventory control to assure parts availability for maintenance and emergency response.
- Review "As Built" drawings to verify the accuracy of the drawings and the correct completion of the field work.
- Create and maintain departmental SharePoint sites, to make sure emergency, operational is updated.
- Coordinate and assist in the installation, troubleshoot and repair of electric & electronic equipment for the cathodic protection systems of the 5500 km of metallic natural gas pipelines.
- Assist with instrumentation and control training methods, procedures and aids necessary for effective training. (e.g. Instructional videos, computer-based training, training props).
- Provide vacation relief to Measurement Engineering Technician and operations & maintenance engineering technicians and other staff as required.
- Train and mentor junior staff as required.
- Instrumentation and Control, or Electric or Electronic Engineering Technology Diploma with a minimum of three years directly related experience;
- Grade 12 and valid red-seal interprovincial journeyperson certification as an Instrumentation and Control Technician plus a minimum of three years' experience as a Journeyperson.
- Familiar with the use of electrical & pressure measuring and monitoring instruments, devices, equipment, apparatus and the interpretation of schematics, construction drawings and applicable codes.
- Possess a clear understanding and follow the Manitoba Hydro Life Saving Rules and other approved safety practices, procedures and directives.
- Proficient in AutoCAD, and Microsoft Office suite of computer applications including SharePoint, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, One Note, and Outlook.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge in cathodic protection will be an asset.
- Ability to work cooperatively in a safe, courteous and responsible manner with co-workers, customers and outside agencies following the standards, procedures and policies of the Company.
- Attend and satisfactorily complete training courses as assigned.
- Possess a valid Province of Manitoba Driver's Licence, Class 5.
Starting salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. The range for the classification is $34.54-$47.80 Hourly, $66,190.28-$91,586.82 Annually.
Visit www.hydro.mb.ca/careers to learn more about this position and to apply online. The deadline for applications is JUNE 9, 2023.
We thank you for your interest and will contact you if you are selected for an interview.
This document is available in accessible formats upon request. Please let us know if you require any accommodations during the recruitment process.