Posted Oct 12, 2021 at 04:00 pm Closes Oct 26, 2021 at 04:00 pm
Online Assistant Intern
Are you looking for growth and independence in a creative workplace?
Are you passionate about the communities and stories that make up this diverse country?
Would you like to work with strong, smart people in a resilient, dynamic organization?
Canada’s History may have the internship you are looking for!
Don’t miss the chance to have national impact!
As a participant in the Alberta Magazines Publishers Association Indigenous Internship Program, we have the following position available:
Online Assistant Intern
In this principal role. . .
· Format content – edit photos, upload videos and podcasts, follow professional standards and protocols for accessibility and SEO, and prepare web pages within a Kentico content management system
· Write, proofread, schedule and monitor social media, maintain a hashtag/trends calendar and help investigate better ways to expand audience reach
· Utilize principals and knowledge of user experience (UX) and content strategy to fine-tune content delivery
· Provide multi-faceted support – trouble shoot technology issues, assemble newsletters, format French content, update reports
· Achievement orientated: Demonstrating the motivation to work hard, be successful, achieve difficult goals, and complete challenging tasks
· Dependable: Be counted on to meet commitments and deadlines
· Flexible: Able to adapt your style or approach to adjust to changing circumstances to achieve an objective
· Independent: Able to be self-starting and work independently of others when necessary
· Proficient in Interpersonal Relations: Relates to others in an outgoing, friendly warm and personable manner in order to establish and maintain effective interpersonal relationships. Able to use tact and diplomacy to manage delicate situations and develop a sense of openness and trust
· Objective: Able to maintain a realistic perspective and keep personal biases to a minimum
· Persevering: Stays the course. Will persevere through hard times and pursue worthy goals
· With a Positive Attitude: Maintains balance of critical thinking and positive attitude
· Productive: Accomplishes an above average quality and quantity of work
· Thorough: Attends to detail and develops a comprehensive approach to problems
· Experience with Microsoft Excel and Word, Adobe Photoshop, basic HTML and content management system use
· Experience in multi-media storytelling via videos, podcasts, etc.
· Familiarity with photo-editing, video-editing and/or audio-editing software
· Familiarity with social media and online platforms
Desired Experience and Qualifications:
· Degree or diploma in a related field (e.g., creative communications, website management, digital publishing) or relevant work experience
· Experienced with basic to intermediate HTML coding
· Previous experience in posting social media on behalf of an organization or entity
· Understanding of project planning, assessment and evaluation and resource management
· Strong interpersonal communication skills
· Strong command of the English language
· Knowledge of and passion for Canadian history
· Working knowledge of both oral and written French would be an asset, but not required
Measures of successful performance:
· Superior content formatting with great attention to small detail
· The speed at which items are completed
· Successful engagement of audience; positive reactions (qualitative or quantitative) to users’ experiences
· Increased digital/multimedia content generation and creation
· This is an ideal role for a recent graduate seeking room to grow and learn, but experienced enough to work competently and professionally without much need for day-to-day guidance.
· The full-time employment position reports directly to the Online Manager and is based out of the Winnipeg Office.
· Shortlisted candidates will be provided with a formatting assignment for consideration prior to their interview.
Duration: Approximately 6 months beginning November 2021
About Canada’s National History Society:
The importance of understanding Canada by examining the histories of its people is an anchoring belief of Canada’s History. Established as a national charitable organization in 1994 through the generous support of the Hudson’s Bay Company History Foundation, we bring relevance and awareness to a diverse past, illuminating the people, places and events that unites us as Canadians. Our work includes: Canada’s History magazine and Kayak: Canada’s History Magazine for Kids, CanadasHistory.ca and HistoireCanada.ca and the Governor General’s History Awards.
Canada’s History engages more than 1.4 million readers of all ages through its compelling and informative stories, videos and digital content. Our audience reflects the diversity of contemporary Canada. Millennials, the most diverse and educated demographic to ever come of age, is our emerging powerhouse of 541,000 readers. Our audience is more diverse than the Canada population as a whole with 403,000 of our readers being born outside of Canada. Of these, more than 200,000 have lived in Canada less than ten years and use a language other than English or French at home. Regardless of where readers’ families originate or where they live now, they share a passion for Canada and for exploring its many cultures, histories, and legacies.
At Canada’s History Society, we strongly believe that the diversity of our team is a strength that will continue to help us become a more productive and innovative organization. Embracing different perspectives, and experiences, is why we are committed to hiring employees who are representative of the Canadian population.
Please voluntarily self-identify if you belong to one or more of Employment Equity Act (EEA) designated groups: women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities and racialized persons.
Interested applicants are encouraged to forward a resume and cover letter by Oct 25, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those being considered for interviews will be contacted.
This employer accepts online applications via AMIK.ca! Apply online now for the following benefits: