Posted Jul 22, 2021 at 04:00 pm Closes Aug 5, 2021 at 04:00 pm
Job Posting: Communications & Events Coordinator
Type: Full-Time, 40 hours/week
Benefits: After 3 months
Start: As soon as possible
Reports To: CEO
Career Trek Inc. is looking for an energetic, dynamic, creative individual who thrives in a space of innovation, growth, change, and out-of-the-box thinking to work as its Communications & Events Coordinator. Reporting to the CEO, the primary role of the Communications & Events Coordinator will be to undertake the coordination and work necessary to develop a plan to connect with individual donors and the general public to promote the work and success of the organization using a number of different platforms and events.
Career Trek is a not-for-profit organization that, for 25 years, has been offering career programming for children, youth and adults who face barriers to education and employment. Career Trek provides an experiential, hands-on, learning opportunity that increases skills, competence, confidence, knowledge, self-awareness and understanding. It’s Career Trek’s belief that its interactive career-related activities and workshops enhance each participants’ level of engagement in their education and ultimately supports the commitment and investment they’ll make in order to achieve career success and life satisfaction. The organization wants to continue doing this work for many more years to come. The person hired to work as Career Trek’s Communications & Events Coordinator will play a significant and important role in achieving this outcome.
Who Are We Looking For?
Career Trek is looking for a self-starter with a can-do, roll-up-your-sleeves attitude who is not afraid to jump in wherever necessary to get the job done. We are looking for someone who is ready to take on the challenge of raising the organization’s profile, connecting with donors and the general public and has the drive to lead key events throughout the year.
The main areas of work include:
1. Telling Career Trek’s story through its social media platforms and website
2. Communicating and building relationships with individual donors through quarterly newsletters and fundraising campaigns.
3. Designing and formatting publications such as reports, proposals or promotional material to enhance Career Trek’s storytelling capacities.
4. Leading, coordinating and implementing efforts specific to events such as the Annual General Meeting or fundraising/awareness events (1 to 3x/per).
Career Trek is looking for someone with a special mix of skills, experience and knowledge that includes being a creative, innovative storyteller, a person who understands the importance of storytelling to garner support, has a keen eye for detail, a commitment to relationship building, can work under pressure and meet multiple, sometimes competing deadlines, someone who can work as a team player as well as take the initiative to work independently and who is passionate about organizational growth. This person will also have an understanding of the unique
experiences of First Nations, Metis and Inuit peoples in Canada with a commitment to on-going learning in the
space of truth and reconciliation.
If this sounds like an organization you want to work for please keep reading!
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
• Develop, coordinate and implement a comprehensive communications plan that articulates short-,
medium-, and long-term goals along with the tactics for achieving success.
• Use Career Trek platforms to share the organization’s story and demonstrate its leadership in the area of
career education – Twitter, Facebook, Linked In, Instagram.
• Develop on-brand and effective messaging to advance the work of Career Trek and raise awareness.
• Cultivate, nurture and maintain positive relationships with individual donors through the use of
quarterly newsletters, Thank You Letters and Annual Giving Campaigns.
• Design and edit promotional material, ie. Report to Community, Proposals, Reports, Brochures,
• Create, gather content and publish a monthly, internal, newsletter for Career Trek staff.
• Liaise with media outlets and funders to showcase stories and successes.
• Prepare presentations and media releases.
• Plan and facilitate all aspects of events, including meetings and day of coordination – virtually or in-person
(ie. venue bookings, invitations, food, entertainment, guest speakers, recordings)
• Delegate planning and event tasks to other staff as needed.
• Ensure all activities within an event take place without incident; problem-solve as needed.
• Promote, highlight and report on event(s) using social media, newsletters and website.
Human Resources & Administration
• Maintain a system of tracking all activities related to communications and special events for the
• Manage, organize and prioritize workload to ensure deadlines are being met.
• Build and maintain relationships with individual donors, Career Trek staff and partners.
• Compile updates related to communications and events for the Board of Directors according to their
annual meeting schedule.
• Manage and submit expenses according to deadlines.
• Manage donations and Thank You Letters through Canada Helps.
• Travel may be required. This will be dependent on public health orders as it pertains to COVID-19
• Some weekend and evening work will be required in order to meet communications or programming
• Provide a Criminal Background Check and Child Abuse Registry Check
• Be open to continuous learning and stay current on trends happening in the not-for-profit sector related to communications and special events.
• Career Trek is committed to the work and learning required to walk the path of reconciliation. All staff are expected to participate in learning and development in this area.
Skill Requirements & Qualifications
• A combination of education, experience and professional development that demonstrates your ability to raise the awareness and profile of an organization or cause will be considered.
• Minimum 2 years of communications experience in the not-for-profit sector with proven results
• Have a solid understanding of various social media platforms and the ability to update and keep Career Trek’s website current.
• Experience developing social media plans, deploying content and scheduling of posts.
• Familiarity with or working knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud, Canva, Constant Contact or other communications, design or editing software with a willingness to learn. • Experience creating and implementing new and innovative ways of sharing successes. • Familiarity or experience with planning events or programs • Ability to work under pressure, manage simultaneous priorities, meet deadlines and be accountable for results. • Excellent organizational, leadership and time management skills
• Demonstrated oral and exemplary written communication skills. • Outstanding problem-solving skills guided by a creative, innovative solutions-oriented mindset.
• Highly organized and detail oriented.
• Strong computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
If after reading the posting and learning about some of the key responsibilities you’re still interested in applying, please forward your detailed cover letter highlighting your experience along with your resume to Careers at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Communications & Events Coordinator’ in the subject line. This posting will stay open and active until such a time as the right candidate is found. Career Trek thanks everyone who applies. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Career Trek is committed to employment equity practices that achieve a workforce reflective of the community at large and the participants it supports through its programming. We encourage applicants to self-identify as Indigenous, Two-Spirit, Black, a Member of a Racialized Community, A Person with a Disability, LGBTQQIA+. For more information about Career Trek please visit: www.careertrek.ca
This employer accepts online applications via AMIK.ca! Apply online now for the following benefits: