OT2 Occupational Therapist 2
2 positions available; one (1) ending on March 31, 2024, one (1) ending July 2022.
Manitoba Developmental Centre, Community Service Delivery
Portage la Prairie MB
Advertisement Number: 37764
Salary(s): OT2 $2,503.43 - $2,910.88 bi-weekly
Closing Date: June 29, 2021
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
Consider this excellent opportunity with the Manitoba government at the Manitoba Developmental Centre (MDC), located 45 minutes west of Winnipeg in the City of Portage la Prairie. The MDC, a branch of the Department of Families, is an accredited residential care facility providing specialized services to individuals with an intellectual disability and complex needs. On-site interdisciplinary teams provide a wide range of services to residents to ensure that every individual's needs are met and quality of life is enhanced. The Manitoba government has a comprehensive benefits package which includes health spending, dental, vision, long term disability, supportive employment, maternity and parental leave, and a defined pension plan.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search
- Satisfactory Child and Adult Abuse Registry Checks
- Registered in good standing with the College of Occupational Therapists of Manitoba (COTM) as a practicing member, or registered in another province with the ability to obtain registration in Manitoba prior to hire. Candidates who are provisionally registered as an examination candidate will be considered on an underfill basis, and must pass the examination required by COTM during the next available exam offering to maintain employment with the Centre.
- Experience working in occupational therapy, with direct involvement in providing occupational therapist / therapy services for persons with intellectual disabilities
- Experience assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating patient-centered occupational therapy programs
- Knowledge of best practice standards and patient safety in the application of occupational therapy
- Strong verbal communication skills including the ability to communicate effectively with different levels of the organization and outside stakeholders
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of an interdisciplinary team comprised of internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to work independently under minimal supervision
- Knowledge of current trends and issues related to the needs of persons with intellectual disabilities
- Strong organization and time management skills with the ability to prioritize and manage competing and changing demands
- Strong written communication skills including experience recording and reporting data and statistics
- Experience providing leadership, coaching and direction to staff
- Proficiency with computer usage including, but not limited to, Microsoft Office applications and electronic health records
The Occupational Therapist is responsible for assessment, co-ordination, clinical supervision and evaluation of services, which focus on providing interactive occupational and/or developmental activities for recipients. The incumbent will ensure that therapeutic interventions delegated to service providers/support networks is consistent with professional standards of Occupational Therapy practice. This position involves participation in the Centre's Performance and Quality Improvement Program and the accreditation process and includes making recommendations to improve the structure and process of the program service delivery model. This is a professional position with centrewide scope, which requires maintaining effective interpersonal relationships with a diversity of recipients, service providers (executive, professional, para professional) and support networks. The incumbent must model the principles and practices of person-centred care, participate in professional council activities, set a visible example for constructive co-operation across disciplines and demonstrate respect for the dignity and rights of recipients. Enthusiasm, competence and personal integrity are important.
Advertisement # 37764
Service Centre 4
Human Resource Services
600-259 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB, R3B 2A9
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor's representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.