Service Worker (Underfill at SK1 Classification)
SK1 Service Worker 1; SK2 Service Worker 2
April 23, 2021 (subject for extension)
Manitoba Developmental Centre, Community Service Delivery
Portage la Prairie MB
Advertisement Number: 37033
Salary(s): SK1 $16.25 - $18.11 per hour ; SK2 $18.79 - $21.51 per hour
Closing Date: February 2, 2021
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
Candidates who do not meet all essential criteria may be considered on an underfill basis at a commensurate rate of pay.
An eligibility list may be created to fill similar positions at the centre and will remain in effect for 12 months.
Candidates will be hired at the SK1 classification and will be provided with support, training, and on-the-job development to achieve the full working level of the position at the SK2 classification. In order to progress to the full working level of this position, candidates must successfully learn all aspects of the position through on-site training and guidance within a reasonable timeframe, work a designated number of hours and demonstrate satisfactory attendance and performance on the job.
Posting will be open until filled.
Located 45 minutes west of Winnipeg, in the City of Portage la Prairie, the Manitoba Development Centre (MDC), a branch of the Department of Families, is an accredited facility providing residential care, supervision and developmental habilitation for adults with intellectual disabilities. On-site interdisciplinary teams provide a wide range of services to residents to ensure that every individual's needs are met and that his/her quality of life is enhanced. The Manitoba government has a comprehensive benefits package which includes extended health, health spending, dental, vision, long-term disability, group life insurance, supportive employment, maternity/parental leave, family related leave and a defined pension plan. Training and career development opportunities are also available for employees.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must be able to work various day shifts inclusive of weekdays, weekends and holidays
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search, Adult Abuse Registry Check and Child Abuse Registry Check
- Must be physically able to perform position duties including standing, reaching, bending, lifting and pushing/pulling loads up to, and at times exceeding 75 lbs
- Safe Food Handlers Certification (Level 1) or ability to obtain upon hire
- Experience in housekeeping, laundry or food services (e.g. food preparation, serving and dish washing) in a commercial (or related) environment
- Experience using cleaning equipment and/or supplies in a safe and efficient manner
- Effective organizational and prioritization skills
- Ability to make decisions within an interdisciplinary team
- Ability to work independently
- Effective verbal communication skills
- Effective written communication skills, with the ability to handwrite legible notes
- Knowledge of cleaning practices and equipment
- Knowledge of safe food handling techniques, preparation and equipment
- Knowledge of intellectual disabilities/mental health issues
Reporting to the Operations Site Coordinator in their respective areas, and in cooperation with program staff, the incumbent is responsible for carrying out a variety of food services, laundry and/or housekeeping tasks at the Centre including contracted services. This position involves various day shifts, including weekdays, weekends and holidays.
Advertisement # 37033
Service Centre 4
Human Resource Services
600-259 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB, R3B 2A9
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor's representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.