Posted Oct 14, 2020 at 09:00 pm Closes Oct 28, 2020 at 09:00 pm
CLOSING DATE: Wednesday, October 28, 2020
POSITION: Youth Wellness Coordinator
Dakota Ojibway Health Services (DOHS) – Mental Wellness Team
LOCATION: Dakota Ojibway Health Services
320-300 Alpine Way, Headingley, MB R4H 0E1
The Youth Wellness Coordinator will oversee various functions of the National Aboriginal Youth Suicide Prevention program. The key focus will be in the development of a strategic plan addressing Crisis Response and Youth Suicide within the DOTC Region. The Youth Wellness Coordinator will support community based programs that improve the well being of First Nations children and their families and the DOHS member communities. The successful candidate will support and assist DOTC Communities in the development, implementation, and evaluation of a DOHS Youth Suicide Prevention Strategy for DOTC Tribal Health Centers.
· Co-ordinate, promote and engage DOTC Communities in the formation and development of a community-based approach to Suicide & Post Suicide Crisis Response.
· Perform project related administrative activities, such as prepare and maintain annual work plans and projected budgets; provide regular updates and briefings to the Director of Health and the DOTC Health Board.
· Conduct research relevant to existing suicide intervention and prevention services, including existing service delivery systems.
· Assist with collaborating with community and regional cultural activities to promote land-based healing and cultural healing practices for youth.
· Assist in preparation of activity summary reporting and evaluations in support of cultural service events in the DOTC communities.
· Assisting DOTC Communities in the assessment and evaluation of community-based approaches to crisis response and youth suicide prevention, based on community readiness and best practices.
· Participate on Youth Suicide Prevention committees within RHA and Provincial levels; establishing professional working relationships and participating in knowledge exchange activities with related community, regional and provincial organizations.
· Familiar with critical incident stress debriefing (CISM) & Applied suicide intervention skills training (ASIST)
· Promote and advertise the Youth Suicide Prevention and Cultural programs, which may include participation in health fairs and other public health related fields.
· Promote the development of healthy communities through community-based mental health programs, cultural events, services and/or activities.
QUALIFICATIONS: (including, but not limited to)
· Degree in BSW, BA (Psychology), and a combination of related experience and/or related discipline;
· Must have Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Certification (ASIST)
· Must have Critical Incident Stress Management Certification (CISM)
· Must have Mental Health First Aid Certificate (MHFA)
· Experience in crisis management & intervention, with extensive experience in mental health and illness, behavioural issues, and personality development theories related to indicators associated with suicide attempts;
· Experience with First Nations Health and Research, considered an asset;
· Demonstrate knowledge of social science research theories, principles, methodologies and analytical techniques;
· Knowledge of programs and services related to crisis response & youth suicide prevention;
· Knowledge of the culture, traditions, attitudes and socio-economic conditions of DOTC communities.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
· Valid Manitoba Driver’s License
· Access to a reliable vehicle
· Travel extensively throughout region
Interested applicants are invited to forward a resume and cover letter, including two (2) reference to:
DAKOTA OJIBWAY HEALTH SERVICES
Attn: Erica Nicholson, Human Resource Officer
Ph: (204) 239-8650
Fax: (204) 857-6037
This employer accepts online applications via AMIK.ca! Apply online now for the following benefits: