Posted Jul 31, 2020 at 03:00 pm Closes Aug 14, 2020 at 03:00 pm
Under the supervision and direction of the Operations Manager/Program Coordinator and in accordance with the Indigenous Women’s Healing Centre's philosophy, goals, and service policies and standards, the incumbent functions as a member of the Indigenous Women’s Healing Centre in providing Elder services designed to enable Indigenous women to achieve change and growth. The Elder will assist Residents, in their healing journey, to further develop an understanding of traditional Indigenous culture through spiritual teachings, guidance, support, and the use of traditional ceremonies and practices to promote healing and balance.
Duties and Responsibilities
· The Elder will provide group and individual teachings and ceremonial services to residents
· The Elder will provide circles and other traditional ceremonies based on Elder teachings
· The elder will assist residents through following a healing plan in support of their correctional plan
· Provide Indigenous-specific interventions that enhance residents in custody or residents under conditional release potential for the rehabilitation and wellness, through cultural and spiritual resources found within the Indigenous Community.
· Connect residents with their history and their culture, encouraging them to return to their cultural roots to meet life’s challenges, build on personal gifts and strengths and undergo healing and transformation by learning together.
· The Elder will escort residents on Escorted Temporary Absences (ETAs) for ceremonial and other spiritual purposes
· Will perform sweats, pipe ceremonies, fasts and other related spiritual ceremonies
· Assists/teaches staff in better understanding of Indigenous teachings and practices.
· Participates in Case Consults as required
· Provide information regarding resident participation in a healing plan to Healing Plan Coordinators as requested
· In conjunction with the Program Manager, the Elder will keep a weekly log of activities for statistical purposes.
· Provide advice to Operations Manager regarding ceremonies, ceremonial objects, traditional practices and protocols, traditional medicines and all related traditional teachings.
Education and Qualifications
Must be recognized by the Indigenous community as having knowledge and understanding of the traditional culture of the community, including ceremonies, protocols, teachings and healing techniques, according to the beliefs and social traditions of the Indigenous community.
email resume, cover letter and three references to: Manager of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org by 3:00 P.M. August 14, 2020.
This employer accepts online applications via AMIK.ca! Apply online now for the following benefits: