Title: Growing Opportunities Support Worker
Department: Educations and training
Program: level up!
Reporting to: Director of Education and Training
Hours: Full-time, 37.5 hours weekly, one year term with possibility of extension
Schedule: Standard hours Monday – Friday, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, some evenings and weekends may be required
Hourly wage: $16.50 - $18.50 per hour, dependent on qualifications and experience
Mission: To provide youth with what they need, on their terms, to better their lives.
Vision: RaY’s vision is that all youth have the opportunity to live a healthy and secure life; that they are given the chance to develop a belief in themselves through tools, information and programs that build personal capacity in order to be self-sufficient and no longer need RaY’s services.
About the Role
The Growing Opportunities Support Worker works in conjunction with the Education and Training team to support youth to gain employment experience and opportunities and prepare them for other programming offered at RaY.
RaY is a fast-paced environment which depends on reliable, open-minded, flexible and team oriented individuals to provide youth with what they need, on their terms, to better their lives.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum 2+ years of experience working in youth care and/or with marginalized populations
- Post-secondary education in community development, human services or social services (BA/BSW/B.Ed or equivalent preferred). Other combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- Valid driver’s license
- Criminal Record Check, Child Abuse Check and Driver’s Abstract
- Proficiency in MS Office and general comfort with technology
- Proficiency in reporting and stating to the Director and funders
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Understanding of the needs of marginalized youth and homelessness issues
- Experience working with marginalized populations an asset
- Knowledge of the current labour market and in building community relationships and partnerships
- Creative problem solving and strong advocacy skills
- Strong working knowledge of harm reduction principles
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and written skills
- Cultural competency skills, knowledge, experience, and awareness
- Ability to function independently while also working as part of a frontline team
- Ability to multitask and prioritize in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision
- Must have a familiarity of resources that are available to youth in Winnipeg; specifically employment and social services.
- Must possess knowledge of street life in the inner city including gang activity, substance use, and sexual exploitation.
- Ability to prioritize tasks, to plan and organize effectively, possess a highly developed attention to detail
- Assertive, professional and positive, with an ability to lead in a stressful environment
The responsibilities of the Growing Opportunities Support Worker include, but are not limited to the following:
- Drop-In Employment Assistance
- Develop trusting relationships with youth accessing RaY’s Drop-In, 3-4 times a week
- Assess youths’ needs during drop-in and refer them to internal/external services
- Promote the Growing Opportunity’s employment programming and supports
- Provide employment supports to RaY participants and schedule case management appointments during drop-in
- Case Management
- Maintain and manage an active caseload
- Work with clients on a one-on-one basis
- Conduct orientations and intakes with participants upon entry into Growing Opportunities, including needs assessments and case plans.
- Using a strength-based approach, identify participants’ skills
- Conduct life maps, goal mapping exercises and employment skill assessments
- Odd Jobs and Volunteer Management
- Plan odd jobs with the Growing Opportunities team
- Develop odd-job and volunteer schedules
- Pay-out odd jobs, ensuring appropriate financial protocols are being followed
- Administrative Support
- Research employment opportunities and update the job/employment board weekly
- Performing other duties as assigned by the Director of Education and Training
- Statistics and Reporting
- Enter statistical information into the database
- Support with quarterly reporting on statistics in the program
- Maintain correct and up to date records
Perform other tasks as assigned
Physical DEMANDS and Work Environment:
- Physical demands: sitting, walking, some lifting up to 20 lbs
- Work environment: an environment of high-stress and fast-paced crisis intervention. Will be largely in the office but may require home visits and transportation of participants within city limits.
RaY is committed to representing diversity among our staff and volunteers. Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply and self-identify.
Please email your resume and cover letter detailing the position title in the subject line and email your attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org with attention to Employment at RaY. No phone calls please.
- Job Types: Full-time, Contract
- Salary: $16.50 to $18.50 /hour