Rail Track Maintainer
Rail Track Maintainers work as key members of a crew inspecting, repairing and replacing rails, ties, switches and ballasts. To learn more about the job click here to view the video.
Currently hiring for the following locations:
- Fort St. John, BC
- McBride, BC
- Terrace, BC
- Dawson Creek, BC
- Prince George, BC
- Mackenzie, BC
- Smithers, BC
- Reddit, ON
- Raymore, SK
- Yarbo, SK
Critical performance areas include the following but may vary depending on location and circumstances:
- Prepare, use and maintain various common and specialized hand tools for assigned work.
- Remove and replace defective ties, rails spikes and anchors.
- Correct deviations in track surface, alignment and gauge.
- Install and repair street crossings and railroad crossings.
- Assist in the replacement or repair of items such as power-operated switches and insulated joints.
- Unload or assist in unloading ballasts, as well as unload and distribute track material.
- Sort used track material for loading (may load by hand).
- Clear brush, vegetation, snow and litter from railroad right-of-way.
- Establish and maintain drainage.
- Clean up after work completion.
- Understand and comply with track safety standards, Operating Rules and Safe work procedures.
- Work shift work, as well as work away from home on various work cycles and occasional overtime.
- Work at all locations across the region.
- Work outdoors, sometimes in extreme weather conditions, involving physical work.
- Perform repetitive physical activities during the course of a shift.
- Frequent lifting/carrying up to 50 pounds (22 kg) and occasionally up to 70 pounds (32 kg).
- Good eye-hand coordination and grasping.
- Comply with safe work procedures and policies.
Candidates must travel across the province and work away from home. This means that they spend a considerable amount of time away from home. They work in remote and often isolated locations. When working near urban centers, motels are available. In isolated locations, they would be staying in camps or accommodations set up on rail cars along the track.
Upon hiring, candidates are provided with on-the-job training. Successful completion of the training program is mandatory in order to work as a Track Maintainer.
- Valid driver’s license.
- High School diploma or equivalent General Education Diploma (GED).
- Relevant work experience in similar working conditions or regulatory/safety environment.
- Welding skills.
- Knowledge of signals or Rail Operating Rules.
- Post secondary education.
The ideal candidate profile:
- Ability to work autonomously and adapt to different situations.
- Alert and prepared for unusual conditions or circumstances.
- Demonstrate good teamwork and maintain positive interactions with others.
- Dedicated to getting the job done while meeting established standards of quality, safety and client satisfaction.
To apply, please visit https://adr.to/xbvgy