Advertisement Number: 35887
Salary(s): SI3 $56,380.00 - $71,794.00 per year
Closing Date: January 24, 2020
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
This is a preference competition. All applicants are encouraged to apply, however first consideration for this competition will be given to Indigenous people. Applicants are requested to self-declare at the time of application.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
Candidates who do not meet all essential criteria may be considered on an underfill basis at a commensurate rate of pay.
A detailed position description is available upon request.
Workplace Safety and Health enforces The Workplace Safety and Health Act and its associated regulations in order to protect the safety and health of workers in Manitoba. Workplace Safety and Health’s inspection and investigation activity focuses on improving legislative compliance in order to eliminate workplace fatalities, injuries and illnesses.
The Manitoba government has a comprehensive compensation and benefits package which includes extended health care, health spending account, dental care, vision care, long term disability insurance, group life insurance, maternity/paternity leave, family related leave and a defined pension plan (some pension plans allow for portability between the Civil Service Superannuation Board and employers). Training and career development opportunities are also available for employees.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Valid Class 5 driver's license with the ability to operate a Government-owned/leased vehicle in all seasons.
- Must provide and maintain a satisfactory Criminal Record Check.
- Must provide and maintain a satisfactory Child Abuse Registry Check.
- Ability to travel extensively throughout Manitoba to carry out responsibilities of the position, including overnight stays away from home.
- Physically capable of performing the duties and functions of the job including working at heights and carrying out strenuous physical activity such as walking, climbing, crawling, bending and kneeling.
- Ability to work outside, in various environmental conditions, including around dusts, animals, and other environmental allergens.
- Ability to work on-call and outside regular working hours.
- Education/training and experience in occupational health and safety, a skilled trade or profession, management or a regulatory enforcement field may also be considered.
- Experience conducting inspections, investigations, audits, quality assurance, or program evaluation for the purpose of meeting accepted standards and/or legislation.
- Sound analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to identify and record relevant information/evidence, analyze facts, interpret acts, regulations, and standards, and determine options to resolve situations.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with potentially difficult individuals in a respectful, objective manner, and work well in a team environment.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and discretion.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Strong written communication skills with the ability to write reports and related documents in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to lead and manage difficult situations.
- Knowledge of occupational health and safety fundamentals, principles, rights, duties and responsibilities.
- Ability to work independently.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to prioritize work and work under pressure to meet time sensitive deadlines.
- Proficient with Microsoft applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access) or equivalent software applications.
- Experience working in healthcare, social services, ergonomics, agriculture or metal, wood, plastics, and/or vehicle manufacturing.
- Post-secondary education in Occupational Health and Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Environment Health, Labour Law/Studies, or a related field.
The Safety and Health Officer conducts inspections and investigations into fatalities, right to refuse situations, discriminatory actions, serious incidents and other related workplace concerns in all industry sectors. The position completes assignments in accordance with The Workplace Safety and Health Act, the Workplace Safety and Health Regulation, and the operational procedures set by the Branch. The Officer's work involves conducting inspections and interviews; preparing written reports on enforcement activities; issuing and determining compliance with improvement orders and stop work orders; and providing information to improve awareness of and compliance with safety and health legislation. The position may be called upon to give evidence at an inquest related to an incident or fatality or provide evidence before the Manitoba Labour Board.
Advertisement # 35887
Service Centre 3
Human Resource Services
600-155 Carlton Street
Winnipeg, MB, R3C 3H8
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor's representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.