CWC Community Corrections Worker
Community Corrections, Community Safety Division
Advertisement Number: 35533
Salary(s): CWC $46,957.00 - $55,742.00 per year
Closing Date: November 1, 2019
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
This is a preference competition. All applicants are encouraged to apply, however first consideration for this competition will be given to Indigenous people. Applicants are requested to self-declare at the time of application.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
This competition may be used to appoint successful candidate(s) to current and future full-time, part-time, term, acting or regular appointments in the Westman region, subject to staffing approval.
As the largest division of the Department of Justice, Community Safety contributes to the protection of society by administering sentences imposed by the courts, the humane care, control and reintegration of inmates and youth offenders into society, working with community agencies, government departments and other levels of government to support crime prevention, intervention and programs to reduce recidivism. In order to manage inmates and youth offenders with the appropriate degree of control, supervision and support, we must provide appropriate programs, services and encouragement to help them deal with the issues that bring them into conflict with the law.
The Manitoba Government has a comprehensive compensation and benefits package which includes extended health care, health spending account, dental care, vision care, long term disability insurance, group life insurance, maternity/paternity and parental leave, family related leave and a defined pension plan. Training and career development opportunities are also available for employees.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Satisfactory Internal Security Check
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check, Child Abuse Registry Check and Adult Abuse Registry Check
- Access to a personal vehicle
- Ability to travel
- Ability to work flexible hours (9:00 am-1:00am)
- Directly related experience working with vulnerable or at risk youth or adults in a supportive or supervisory role
- Problem solving and decision making skills
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Effective verbal communication skills
- Effective written communication skills
- Experience working independently with minimal supervision
- Experience working as part of a team environment
- Proficiency in various Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel and Outlook) or equivalent applications
- Post-secondary education in the social sciences or equivalent of education, training and experience
- Knowledge of Indigenous culture and history
- The ability to build and sustain professional relationships with at risk youth and adults
- Knowledge of appropriate community resources to support identified intervention plans
- Ability to speak an Indigenous language
The Community Corrections Worker provides assistance to Probation Officers through the provision of a comprehensive and timely referral service. Duties range of management and control of the environment and the provision of services. Probation Officers on offender progress. The incumbent will work with offenders, their families, case managers, correctional staff and all relevant community agencies.
Advertisement # 35533
Service Centre 1
Human Resource Services
Winnipeg, MB, R3C 3L6
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor's representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.