Posted Dec 6, 2018 at 06:00 pm Closes Jan 3, 2019 at 06:00 pm
Dental Hygienist - Children’s Oral Health Initiative (COHI)
TWO Full-Time Permanent Positions
Southeast Resource Development Council Corporation (SERDC) Health Services is seeking 2 motivated, experienced and energetic individuals for our organization to fill the role of Dental Hygienist- Children’s Oral Health Initiative.
SERDC Health is accredited by the Canadian Accreditation Council to provide exceptional 2nd level services to eight or more First Nation Communities in Manitoba. We are community-focused, community driven, and seeking enthused individuals to make a difference in First Nations Health.
The overall goals of the COHI are:
• To reduce and delay dental decay among First Nation children.
• To reduce the need for children to undergo extensive dental treatment involving general anesthetic.
• To work with community partners such as Aboriginal Head Start and Maternal Health programs and schools to bring proven early interventions to First Nations communities, and;
• To improve families’ understanding of their role in promoting oral health as part of a healthy lifestyle.
Under the direction of the Health Director, the Dental Hygienist will be responsible to implement and deliver the “Children’s Oral Health Initiative (COHI)” program, which focuses on children from ages 0 – 7 years of age. COHI is a community based initiative to prevent tooth decay and improve oral health among First Nations children.
• Ensure the collection of appropriately completed permission/consent forms.
• Provide dental screenings and surveys to determine the oral health status and preventive treatment needs of each child.
• Provide pit and fissure sealants for children.
• Apply as required, fluoride varnish to children.
• Painless procedures used in cavities to decrease/limit further decay.
• Referrals for children who require urgent care.
• Provide one-to-one oral hygiene instruction.
• Oral health education and promotion activities.
• Collect, complete and submit data in a timely fashion (i.e. Dental Screening forms and Dental Services Daily Records).
• Maintain appropriate records (i.e. COHI lists, referral lists, etc.).
• Program management support for COHI along with providing a range of administrative duties.
• Train and provide indirect supervision of the Dental Aide Worker.
• Develop, implement, coordinate, evaluate and maintain preventive and health promotion programs.
• Travel within the SERDC Tribal Region is essential.
• Liaise with local, community-based, and regional programs, agencies and organizations to strengthen communication and programming. This includes but is not limited to Health Centers, Nursing Stations, Schools, Band Administration, First Nations and Inuit Health Branch, Regional Health Authorities, and Manitoba Dental Hygienists Association.
• Report to the Tribal Nursing Officer, SERDC Director of Health, and work collaboratively with SERDC Health Staff and the eight SERDC First Nation communities.
• Attend community events (health fairs, pow wows, treaty days etc.) with program booth display and provide educational resources and information to community members.
• Prioritize professional development by participating in trainings related to dental hygiene, and other program areas.
• Logistical support for key events (i.e. Health Fairs, and quarterly meetings).
• Assist in the research, development, and design of educational materials and presentations using current research and statistical data.
• Undertaking other tasks as assigned.
Education & Experience
• A bachelor of dental hygiene from a recognized institution or a 2 to 3-year advanced diploma in dental hygiene
• Minimum Two (2) years’ experience.
• Combination of education and experience as determined by SERDC.
• Must be a Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH), College of Dental Hygienists of Manitoba.
• Must be listed on the Registered Dental Hygienists - Extended Practice Roster, College of Dental Hygienists of Manitoba.
• Understanding and respecting the diverse cultural and/or religious beliefs of each First Nation community.
• Knowledgeable of First Nations cultural practices, traditions, and customs would be an asset.
• Experience working in a First Nation community would be an asset.
• Knowledge of Federal/Provincial Health Care Systems.
• Demonstrate professionalism in all working environments, including social media, and maintain confidentiality at all times.
• Capable to work independently and as part of a team.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office software programs.
• Excellent communication (verbal/written) and conflict resolution skills.
• Valid Emergency First Aid/CPR certification.
• Valid Class 5 driver’s license, reliable personal vehicle, business use automobile insurance, including liability insurance coverage for up to $2,000,000.
• Capability to lift at least 50lbs and travel – by all forms of transportation, to remote and northern First Nation communities in MB including fly-in communities and out of province travel for up to 5 day(s) at time.
• Adhere to SERDC policies and procedures.
Conditions of Employment:
• a satisfactory Criminal Record Check (including Vulnerable Sector Search).
• a satisfactory Child Abuse Registry Check;
• and a satisfactory Adult Abuse Registry Check.
• A competitive salary.
• A full and unique benefit plan.
• An opportunity to become part of a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, inclusive, respectful, and high-performing team.
• Available scramble parking.
SERDC recognizes the importance of building an exemplary service delivery organization that is equal, inclusive and reflective of the population it serves. Preference will be given to qualified SERDC or First Nation members who voluntarily self-declare in their application.
This is a Full Time position located in our Winnipeg office. We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Deadline for application: January 4, 2019 at 4:00pm. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Please send current resume in confidence to:
Director of Human Resources
6th Floor – 360 Broadway Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3C 0T6
Phone: (204) 956-7500
Fax: (204) 956-7382
This employer accepts online applications via AMIK.ca! Apply online now for the following benefits: