INSULATION TEST TECHNICIAN
Manitoba Hydro is consistently recognized as one of Manitoba's Top Employers!
- Competitive salary and benefits package.
- Defined-benefit pension plan.
- Nine-day work cycle which normally results in every other Monday off, providing for a balanced approach to work, family life and community.
Manitoba Hydro is a leader among energy companies in North America, recognized for providing highly reliable service and exceptional customer satisfaction. Join our team of Manitoba's best as we continue to build a company that supports innovation, commitment and customer service.
We are seeking an Insulation Test Technician to join our Elec Insulation & Lab Servcies Department. Under the direction of the Electrical Insulation Test Section Supervisor, Senior Electrical Insulation Test Technician, or other senior personnel, will perform and evaluate tests associated with the Electrical Insulation Field & Laboratory Testing programs, and will construct and service-related test equipment. Will function independently as a technician ensuring job completion, adherence to safety rules and standards; will direct and give guidance to Journeyperson, Trainees, and helpers on all phases of their duties. This is a 12–24-month term position with full time hours.
- Perform all types of insulation tests required for acceptance testing and condition assessment for electrical insulation materials associated with all classes of electrical apparatus installed at various locations throughout the province.
- Perform dielectric tests on live line aerial lift devices and FRP tools.
- Perform a diagnostic analysis of cable problems with the aid of advanced cable locating instruments for pre-locating and final pinpointing of faults.
- Liaise with site staff for the scheduling of tests, and for the preparation of the electrical apparatus involved.
- Evaluate test results and report indications of defective or questionable electrical apparatus to those responsible for commissioning or maintenance.
- Construct, repair and calibrate specialized test equipment associated with the Electrical Insulation Field & Laboratory Testing programs.
- Conduct industry standard tests on a wide variety of equipment and apparatus at the High Voltage Test Facility (HVTF).
- Conduct accelerated aging tests to the insulation of stator coils/bars, polymeric cables, and external insulation together with associated diagnostics in accordance with applicable standards.
- Follow statutory and regulatory requirements and all corporate and QMS (Quality Management System) policies and procedures.
- Develop and update Technical Work Instructions and Standard Operating Procedures.
- Operate, inspect, and maintain various classes of material handling equipment.
- Maintain and service the Test Facility and associated equipment.
"Principal Duties are intended to be an accurate reflection of the main duties essential for this position. They are not designed to be an exhaustive list of all duties, tasks and responsibilities."
- Electronic or Electrical Technology Diploma from an institute of recognized standing,
- Eligible for membership in Certified Technicians and Technologists Association of Manitoba (CTTAM) at the Technologist level.
- Completion of Manitoba Hydro's training program leading to the designation of Protection Technician, Power Electrician, or Insulation Test Journeyperson.
- Minimum two years' experience as a Journeyperson.
- Must have completed Standards of Conduct Training or be willing to complete within two weeks of start date.
- Must obtain and maintain a current Personal Risk Assessment and a "Clear" security rating in accordance with Manitoba Hydro policy P513.
- Demonstrated ability to apply electrical/electronic theory to work situations, especially in troubleshooting and problem situations.
- Possess a thorough knowledge of the proper use and care of all related instruments and test equipment.
- Must be familiar with generating, converter and transmission stations local operating practices and be deemed qualified to hold a clearance to work in any of these corporate facilities when performing related duties.
- Familiar with and adhere to all safety rules.
- Must have initiative, be able to work with minimum supervision and demonstrate a high degree of technical competence.
- Must be able to collaborate effectively with personnel in related activities to ensure, as much as possible, that Corporation objectives are attained.
- Capable of making concise and comprehensive verbal as well as written reports on work performed.
- Required to have mechanical aptitude to satisfy all requirements of the position.
- Possess an approved set of personal hand tools.
- Must be physically capable of performing all the duties of the position.
- Must possess a valid Manitoba Motor Vehicle Driver's Licence.
Starting salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. The range for the classification is $38.25 - $45.59 Hourly, $73,296.34 - $87,363.12 Annually.
Note: This employment opportunity is advertised on Manitoba Hydro's career website, and all candidates wishing to apply must do so using our online application system.
Visit www.hydro.mb.ca/careers to learn more about this position and to apply online.
The deadline for applications is DECEMBER 6, 2023.
We thank you for your interest and will contact you if you are selected for an interview.
This document is available in accessible formats upon request. Please let us know if you require any accommodations during the recruitment process.