Program and Policy Analyst
PM2 Planning and Program Analyst 2
Advanced Education, Skills and Immigration
Post-Secondary Institutions , Advanced Education
Advertisement Number: 40828
Salary(s): PM2 $62,773.00 - $79,019.00 per year
Closing Date: March 27, 2023
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to Indigenous people and persons with disabilities.
Candidates who do not meet all essential criteria may be considered on an underfill basis at a commensurate rate of pay.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect until exhausted.
The Department of Advanced Education and Training aims to build knowledge and skills through a competitive advanced education system leading to economic growth and new opportunities for all Manitobans. The Advanced Education Division provides direction, funding and regulatory oversight to Manitoba’s publically funded universities, colleges, private religious institutions, and private vocational institutions to ensure positive outcomes for students, communities and the economy. The Post-Secondary Institutions branch is responsible for the funding, oversight, and relationships with publicly funded post-secondary institutions, including publicly funded religious institutions. To be considered for this competition you must submit an application form. See below for further instructions.Click here to access the application form.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must provide and maintain a satisfactory Criminal Record Check
- Post-secondary education in a social sciences related field. Other combinations of education, training and experience may be considered
- Experience undertaking research and analysis for policy development and implementation using qualitative and quantitative research methods including critically evaluating options and making recommendations
- Excellent written communication skills with experience producing a variety of documents for senior leaders to support decision making
- Excellent verbal communication skills with the ability to facilitate meetings and clearly present complex issues to a variety of audiences
- Excellent problem solving and decision making skills
- Experience developing, fostering and maintaining respectful relationships with diverse external and internal stakeholders by using strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage, prioritize and meet competing deadlines
- Strong political acumen with the ability to manage confidential and politically sensitive material and situations in an appropriate manner
- Ability to work independently, take initiative and embrace innovation with minimal supervision
- Knowledge of public/stakeholder consultation and engagement design concepts, principles and best practices
- Knowledge of financial management principles and practices, such as the government budgetary process
As a member of the Advanced Education Division, the Program and Policy Analyst provides evidence-based analytic support and advice on a range of policy and program issues related to the delivery of post-secondary education programs by Manitoba’s publically funded post-secondary institutions and training providers. Key duties of the position include:
- Preparing briefing notes, position papers, program analysis documents, speaking notes, external communications materials, procedure manuals and authority-seeking documents such as submissions to Cabinet and Treasury Board.
- Researching, reviewing, evaluating and advising the department on post-secondary programs, policies and issues to ensure relevance to government priorities and objectives, eligibility under funding criteria, compliance with legislation, alignment with funding agreements and other considerations. This includes evaluation of applications and/or proposals from educational institutions.
- Monitoring trends, collecting, and maintaining program, labour market, and demographic data, including studying programs and policy direction in jurisdictions within and outside of Canada, to inform policy/program development, strategic and operational planning, and decision-making.
- Interpreting and applying legislation, policy and data and using internal and external expertise to develop strategic options and comprehensive policy/program advice and recommendations.
- Representing the branch and/or division on community, departmental, interdepartmental, and inter-governmental committees and working groups.
- Liaising with post-secondary institutions and training providers, other departments, external partners, contractors and other levels of government for information, issue resolution and regulatory oversight. This involves presenting complex program and policy materials to internal and external audiences.
- Working in partnership with others across the branch, division and/or department to coordinate materials, submissions and responses to various requests.
Advertisement # 40828
Service Centre 4
Human Resource Services
600-259 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB, R3B 2A9
To be considered for this competition you must submit an application form. Complete the application form at the link below or contact Human Resource Services under “Apply to” to request a copy of the application form. The selection board will rely only on information provided in this form to determine whether a candidate will be invited for further assessment. Note: You are not required to submit a cover letter, but may be asked to submit a resume, references, or other documentation at a later point if invited for further consideration.
Click here to access the application form.
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions for represented positions may be grieved by internal represented applicants. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor's representative. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.