BMO Capital Markets
BMO Capital Markets is a leading, full-service North American-based financial services provider offering equity and debt underwriting, corporate lending and project financing, merger and acquisitions advisory services, securitization, treasury management, market risk management, debt and equity research and institutional sales and trading. BMO Capital Markets has approximately 2,600 professionals in 32 locations around the world, including 18 offices in North America.
BMO Capital Markets is a member of BMO Financial Group (NYSE, TSX: BMO), one of the largest diversified financial services providers in North America with US$798 billion total assets and approximately 43,900 employees as of October 31, 2021.
Sales & Trading Analysts work in the Global Markets Group of BMO Capital Markets, comprising Global Equities & Financing Solutions, Global Markets HQ, Digital & Liquid Trading, Global Structured Products Trading, and Financial Resource Management, serving our corporate, institutional and government clients.
Co-op Analysts are assigned to a specific Global Markets group during the 15-week program. In addition to the on-the-job experience, each intern will complete one week of training and participate in professional development sessions and events throughout the term.
Co-op students have the opportunity to join one of the following areas within Global Markets:
- Global Equities & Financing Solutions
- Global Markets HQ
- Digital & Liquid Trading
- Global Structured Products Trading
- Financial Resource Management
All candidates will go through a rigorous interview process and team assignments will be made at closer to the start of the term based on previous experience, interest, and educational background.
These assignments will vary widely from day to day based on the needs of the business and the current market environment.
Responsibilities may include:
Development and deployment of business solutions such as pricing and risk models,
Market data capture and display, spreadsheet development
Helping with developing insight into trading strategies leveraging quantitative modelling
Improving on existing technology involving system infrastructure, internal reporting, client/management presentations, etc.
Work on bespoke projects requiring market, portfolio, or client research and data analytics.
We are looking for highly motivated individuals who can work well in a team based environment and seek a challenge.
Currently enrolled in an undergraduate program; graduating in 2024, 2025, 2026 (applicants are typically between their second and second last co-op term);
Currently working towards a degree in: Finance, Actuarial Science, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, or Statistics;
Strong academic record and extracurricular achievement;
Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of financial markets;
Excellent research and analytical skills, able to collect, analyze and interpret data;
Strong interpersonal skills used within a demanding team environment;
Demonstrated proactivity, resiliency, positive attitude and high motivation;
Strong written and oral communication skills;
Ability to attentively review, assess and provide detailed information daily on multiple projects in an organized manner;
Excellent capacity to independently function as part of a team through self -motivation;
Strong work ethic and a high level of professional integrity;
Detail and results orientated.
Knowledge and/or experience in back end developer languages (C++, C#, Java, Python);
Knowledge and/or experience of at least one type of statistical programming language (i.e. R, MatLab);
Database experience (SQL, Oracle);
Familiarity with data manipulation and strong quantitative/statistical background;
Understanding of mathematical models;
Fluency in Excel, including VBA including scripting and efficient spreadsheet design;
Strong technical writing ability.
How to Apply:
For your application to be eligible for consideration, you must apply to both your career center posting and the BMO application link.
Please ensure the following items are submitted in your application:
The campus job description above aligns to the internal job description below.
Provides a markets-based suite of sales and trading solutions to Institutional, Corporate, and Retail clients. Offers a full spectrum of integrated capabilities to deliver leading market insight, risk management, and execution services to issuing and/or investor clients, including access to major global markets across asset classes including: debt, foreign exchange, interest rate, credit, equity, securitization, and commodities. Provides competitive pricing to all clients and seeks out new opportunities with prospective clients. Maximizes profit while prudently minimizing the bank’s exposure and adhering to regulatory statutes.
- Acts as point person to provide client support in the form of proposals, marketing material, event planning, and scheduling with the cooperation of trading and sales, research, and marketing and with the support of a senior leader.
- Responds to inquiries from clients, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community in a professional manner and determines acceptable solutions.
- Helps manage the flow of inquiries, market data, and other information from clients. Routes client calls appropriately and responds quickly to client questions.
- Seeks to develop an understanding of client needs and outcomes.
- Coordinates conference calls, client events and meetings.
- Maintains a proactive, client service focus in order to meet their needs and increase revenue; contacts customers to present available investment services and develops client prospects from among current customers, referral leads and other sources.
- Verifies that all confirms on trades or sales are accurate and promptly delivered.
- Communicates transaction details to the brokerage community and custodians. Resolves settlement issues related to incorrect billing.
- Answers phones, file, fax, and coordinates meeting and travel arrangements.
- Develops strong market knowledge to provide comprehensive service to clients, develop new solutions, and construct compelling recommendations.
- Reads, analyzes and interprets common technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents in order to better serve client needs.
- Supports the execution of strategic initiatives in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
- Builds effective relationships with internal/external stakeholders.
- Ensures alignment between stakeholders.
- Cultivates strong relationships with the research team in order to understand their industries and stock coverage.
- Uses analytical skills (probability, statistical inference, etc.) and applies appropriate technical concepts and completes/leads consistent and reliable technical and financial reports/analyses to support client deliverables.
- Defines problems, collects data, establishes facts, and draws valid conclusions.
- Develops an understanding of and proficiency in using all required systems and models.
- Supports change management of varying scope and type; tasks typically focused on execution and sustainment activities.
- Executes a variety of administrative and analytical tasks as assigned and with minimal supervision (e.g. procedural documentation, brokerage and client commission reporting, maintenance of contacts database, disaster recovery planning, tracking and updating of periodic trading or sales metrics, etc.).
- Administers all aspects of the sales and or trading desk, record keeping, reporting, and file maintenance in accordance with internal controls and compliance policies and external regulations.
- Responds to requests for information from both internal and external sources.
- Communicates market data and client changes to colleagues when they are on the road or in meetings.
- Provides feedback on, and, supports continuous improvement opportunities.
- Considers risk, internal controls and compliance as part of day-to-day accountabilities and adheres to policies and procedures.
- Focus may be on a business/group.
- Thinks creatively and proposes new solutions.
- Exercises judgment to identify, diagnose, and solve problems within given rules.
- Works mostly independently.
- Broader work or accountabilities may be assigned as needed.
- Typically between 3 - 5 years of relevant experience and post-secondary degree in related field of study or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Familiarity with institutional equity markets.
- Series 7, 63 licenses.
- Able to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, investment and financial reports.
- Strong familiarity with Outlook, Excel, Reuters Plus, Bloomberg, public finance/business news websites is desired.
- I-Star familiarity.
- Specialized knowledge from education and/or business experience.
- Verbal & written communication skills - In-depth.
- Collaboration & team skills - In-depth.
- Analytical and problem solving skills - In-depth.
- Influence skills - In-depth.
We’re here to help
At BMO we are driven by a shared Purpose: Boldly Grow the Good in business and life. It calls on us to create lasting, positive change for our customers, our communities and our people. By working together, innovating and pushing boundaries, we transform lives and businesses, and power economic growth around the world.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://jobs.bmo.com/ca/en.
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
Fall Co-op Global Markets Quantitative Analyst, Toronto